The Academy is temporary closed to the public. The 2020-2021 school year application will become available once group visits are deemed safe. Thanks for your patience!
© Mario Sánchez Prada
Each year, more than 1,600 schools visit the Academy on a field trip. School field trips are available for formal school groups bringing grades preK-12, including preschool, on a trip with their classroom teacher. Bring one class, or the entire grade!
School field trip reservations are available for formal California school groups of students in grades pre-K through 12, including preschool.
- To receive the school group rate, you must bring more than 10 people on your field trip, entering the building together at one time.
- San Francisco school groups receive free admission. View chaperone policy
- For other California school groups, pricing is a flat rate of $11.25 per person, whether student or adult chaperone. We are proud to offer this heavily discounted admission prices to schools regardless of Title I status.
- Eligibility for these free or discounted rates is at the discretion of the Academy, as subsidized admission is available thanks to generous annual donations to the Academy for All initiative.
- Payment must be received in full at least two weeks prior to your visit date, although you may modify your headcount before submitting payment. We accept mailed checks or payment by credit card over the phone to 877-227-3311.
Generally, field trips can be scheduled on most dates with the exception of holidays and school breaks. You can even book a weekend visit, if you are a school that is traveling from a distance.
Reserved seats in Planetarium shows are free, but you must request them on the online application to pre-book the seats. Use these Planetarium schedules when planning preferred visit dates to improve your chances of getting seats in your favorite show. Seats are booked on a first-come, first-served basis.
Schools from Oakland should check out the A to Z Fund.
Do you teach elementary school in San Francisco? The Rock Fund Program, currently open to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes, provides needs-based transportation scholarships, in addition to free educational programming for your field trip.
Find a reserved program
During the 2019-2020 school year, the Rock Fund Program is open to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes in the city of San Francisco. This unique opportunity includes free field trip programming and needs-based transportation scholarships.
Helpful guides for planning your group's visit to the Academy.
The School & Youth Field Trips program is generously supported by an a Anonymous donor, BioMarin, Genentech, Inc., Horace W. Goldsmith Foundation, the Hearst Endowed Fund for Science Education, Jacques M. Littlefield Foundation, Marin Community Foundation, and Union Bank. Additional support is provided by the Academy’s local business donors.