We've served classrooms nationwide with online programs.
Can’t bring your students on an Academy field trip? Visit the Academy virtually from your classroom. We have programs that bring our experts, animals, collections, and exhibits to your school over the internet.
Summer 2020, we are suspending reservations for Distance Learning programs to prepare for the fall semester.
In the meantime, join our Educator E-newsletter to learn about lessons, educational videos and more!
Recordings of Past Events
Click on the program title to access the recording and any materials needed. These recording can be used for classrooms or individual students at home.
Teacher Tip: There will be pauses during the recordings to make observations or think about a question. Think about how you would like student to share their ideas/observations/questions with you during theses times.
- Penguins: Wings, Beaks, and Feathers, Oh My! (Grades K-2)
- Pingüinos: ¡Alas, picos, plumas, vaya! (Grados K-2)
- Penguins: Will You Be My Valentine? (Grades K-2)
- Art & Science: Nature as your Muse (Grades K-5)
- Let's Chat About Weather and Climate (Grades 3-5)
- Spooktacular Skulls (Grades 3-5)
- Tour of the Night Sky (Grades 3-6)
- Asteroids, Comets, and Meteors - Oh My! (Grades 3-7)
- Spot That Bird (Grades 4-5)
- Make Earth Day Every Day (Grades 4-8)
- Dive into a Lagoon with Rays and Their Friends That Live There (Grades 4-8)
- Scientist’s Scoop: Nudibranchs - Colorful Creatures of the Sea (Grades 4-12)
New! Recordings of our Morrison Planetarium livestreams:
- Moon Explorers! (designed for ages 5 and under)
- Virtual Tour of Outer Space (designed for ages 7 and up)
- Night Sky Update (designed for amateur astronomers)
Virtual Programs: Book a private session with an Academy educator
Requiring nothing more than a computer with a reliable internet connection, web camera, microphone, speakers, and a projector. These interactive virtual learning programs will bring the Academy collections, animals, and exhibits to your classroom Tuesday - Thursday.
Waddle Like a Penguin (Grades K-2)
Science Storytime: Pierre the Penguin (Grades K-2)
Artistic Inspiration in Nature (K-3)
Rainforest Meals: Adaptations for Eating (Grades 3-4)
Mystery Skulls (Grades 3-5)
Calling All Planet Heroes: Food Choices (Grade 4-8)
Special Live Events: Join multiple classrooms in free webcasts
Explore our collections with Academy researchers, jump into the coral reef with a diver, and get a glimpse of the night sky with experts from our planetarium.
Special Live Events take place once a month throughout the school year.
These webcasts are entirely free, so book a spot for your class before the spaces fill up!
Who participates in Distance Learning from the Academy?
Classrooms, libraries, homeschool groups, and more have connected with our educators. We've served groups from around the county, and have even delivered programs to students in Canada and Mexico!
Student Education programs and activities are generously supported by the Hearst Endowed Fund for Science Education; Barbara Bakar; and Wendy W. Kwok.