Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Feel the Force NightLife: SOLD OUT
Update: This NightLife event is now SOLD OUT
Channel your inner Jedi during an evening of galactic entertainment inspired by a galaxy far, far away.
Wander among droids built by the R2 Builders club and come in costume to celebrate your favorite epic space saga and Pose for photos with the 501st Legion—aka Vader’s Fist—and other local costume clubs.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
8:30 - 9:45pm
Step into the Icy Landscapes of Hoth to hear a Live performance from Grammy-nominated electronic artist Shinya Mizoguchi, alias starRo, and his band. Based in LA, the Japanese producer’s sound blends electronic music with elements of jazz, R&B, and hip hop.
Planet Hoth 2.0
(East Garden Ice Rink)
7pm, 8pm & 9pm
Brave the world of snow and ice and take a twirl on our seasonal ice rink (aka Hoth).
Light Saber Battle on Tatooine
15 min sessions from 6:30 - 9:00pm
Get into character during a lightsaber workshop by Golden Gate Knights, and prepare to be wowed by an epic lightsaber battle.
Star Wars Science
6:00 - 10:00pm
- See if the force is within you when you try to move virtual objects using only your brain (and an EEG reader).
- Get new art for your walls from the pop-surrealist and sci-fi loving artists from the Paint Pens Collective.
- Learn more about the sci-fi inspired Jedi Ant from the Ant Lab.
Then, Wind your way through Kashyyyk (aka the four-story rainforest dome), stargaze from Cloud City (aka the Living Roof), and board the Death Star (aka Morrison Planetarium) for an Earth Update with Shannon Bennett, the Academy’s Chief of Science and infectious disease expert, followed by three screenings in the planetarium of Worlds Far, Far Away.
STREET CLOSURE NOTICE
Please note, JFK Drive between 8th Avenue and Kezar Drive will be closed tonight due to the Winter Lights event in Golden Gate Park. Please plan your travel to the Academy accordingly. Full closure details can be found here.
HOLIDAY ICE RINK
Celebrate the winter season with a few spins around our seasonal ice rink in the East Garden, part of the Academy’s‘Tis the Season for Science: Life on Ice exhibit.
Add a 45-minute ice session to your NightLife visit for just $12 ($10 for members).
Ice rink tickets can be purchased in advance here or on-site.
COSTUME AND MASK POLICY
Event attendees are encouraged to dress in costumes for this event. For the safety and enjoyment of our guests, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- Costumes should not be obstructive, offensive or violent in nature.
- For the safety of all visitors, we ask that guests refrain from wearing masks or other items which obscure the face.
- Costumes should not contain sharp or pointed objects, or materials that may accidentally strike guests or exhibits.
- Costumes should not contain any elements which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- The California Academy of Sciences reserves the right to turn away any guest with a costume that we deem offensive or unsafe.
- Hurry! Last entry into Kashyyk dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will also be made available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
DEATH STAR (Planetarium) PASSES
- Planetarium passes are available on a first-come, first-served basis starting at 6:00 pm. Early event arrival is strongly recommended due to limited capacity and high demand for passes.
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe, and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight! And if craft cocktails aren't your thing, check out our craft beer offerings from Anchor Brewing Co.
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Hear from Academy scientist Shannon Bennett on where pandemics come from and how they evolve.
Upcoming NightLife Events
Put down the button mushrooms and discover fungi’s true potential!
Laugh your face off as SF Sketchfest takes over the museum for a knee-slapping night.
NightLife celebrates the best of the Academy with after hours science inside the greenest museum on the planet.
Ring in the Year of the Dog with a night devoted to canine companions and Lunar New year traditions.
NightLife is supported by the Koret Foundation.