Sign up for our weekly newsletter to receive NightLife event details and updates.
Lunar New Year NightLife
Get a second chance to kick off the new year when NightLife rings in the Year of the Rat with a night devoted to Lunar New Year traditions.
Music by Jay Midnight
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Year of the Rat
6:30 - 8:30 PM
- Get face-to-face with this year’s lunar animal ambassador as Rattie Ratz Rescue brings a few of their cutest rodents.
7:00 & 8:00 PM
- Begin the celebration with a special performance from musician Melody Yan as she plays the Guzheng (Chinese zither)—a plucked string instrument with 2,500+ years of history.
7:30 & 8:30 PM
- Check out a powerful lion dance performance and ceremony by SF’s own Jing Mo Athletic Association, a Chinatown-based martial arts performance troupe. Examine a lion dance costume up-close—and take a photo with it.
6:00 - 10:00 PM
- Learn about the significance of tea and tea ceremonies with Fabula Tea, and try your hand at traditional Chinese calligraphy.
- Last entry for the Rainforest dome is at 7:45 pm. Please note: drinks are not allowed inside the Rainforest exhibit.
- Thirsty? Each bar area features a unique seasonal craft cocktail—there are multiple bars throughout the museum.
- Special programs and lectures may have limited seating and admission will be available to visitors on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Planetarium passes are required for the 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30 pm shows.
- Passes are $5 each and may be purchased online or at the ticket window. Since shows do sell out, we always recommend buying in advance.
- The 6:30 pm live show is always free. Seats are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please arrive at the planetarium 15 minutes before your ticketed showtime for seating. We run a tight spaceship!
FOOD & DRINK
- A variety of food options are available at NightLife from 6:00-9:30 pm, including The Academy Cafe and The Academy Cafe Food Cart located in the front lobby.
- Enjoy a different fresh seasonal "craft on draft" cocktail at each NightLife bar area designed by our resident mixologist Shane McKnight!
All bars accept cash and credit cards.
Take a tour of the Universe with a sprinkling of the hottest news stories from astronomy and the space sciences!
Narrated by George Takei, Incoming! explores the past, present, and future of our Solar System.